The word consecrated means "dedicated to a sacred purpose" or "
to make or declare sacred; especially : to devote irrevocably to the worship of God by a solemn ceremony" according to Merriam-Webster's on-line dictionary. I looked it up because I was confronted with this word by my Lord this morning during my time with Him. I was asking Him this morning why it was that it seemed like when I was meeting one person's needs I was denying another's. Why does it seem that I can't hold myself to the boundaries I have set for myself? I make rules for myself in regards to the spending of my time (such a precious and limited resource) and then promptly break them. First my Lord reminded me of the word self-discipline. "Yes," I replied, "that is my great weakness!" Now, I have been reading in the morning in 1 Thes. and have been greatly blessed. So after presenting these questions and concerns to my Lord I turned there to be "encouraged and charged to live a life worthy of God." 2:12. I found in chapter 4 the words purity, consecration and honor. They are beautiful words... words to live by. "For God has not called us to impurity, but to consecration." 4:7. What is impurity? It is, quite simply, anything that is not of God. Here is what I found in chapter 4 to be a consecrated life...
1. love of the brethren (far-reaching, globe-circling)
2. love one another (close by)
3. live quietly
4. live peacefully
5. mind your own affairs
6. work with your hands
"so that you may bear yourselves becomingly..." So that 'mind your own affairs' part really hit me hard... if my own affairs aren't running smoothly then why am I taking an interest in anybody else's? And there is consecration... and self-discipline. One word shouts loudly in my mind at this thought... Facebook! With Facebook I can mind everyone else's affairs simply by running down the home list which comes up first no matter what, and isn't it fascinating!!!! Purity, honor, consecration... rethinking my time and how to make every moment one of consecration to my Lord. My life is 'devoted irrevocably' to His will. Does my life exhibit that truth? If a life doesn't exhibit consecration then is it indeed consecrated? That old, favorite hymn came to mind:
"Take my life and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to Thee
Take my moments and my days
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
let them flow in ceaseless praise."
Thank you! Your insights are always a blessing. Looking forward to hearing more about your break... photos???
ReplyDeleteHa! I don't know that we've done anything worth taking pictures of! We've mostly just been hanging out relaxing. One thing I've done is work on the chore chart of chore charts. I seriously doubt that anyone wants to see that especially those whose names are on the chore chart! HA! I'll see what I can do though. I still have to post the pictures from the Botanical Garden!
Delete